momwithabook

Momwithabook

I love to read, mostly historical fiction with a little historical romance and some ghosty stories thrown int.

The Diary

The Diary - Eileen Goudge Elizabeth Marshall is in a coma in extended care and her daughters, Emily and Sarah, are cleaning out her house. Up in the attic they find Betsy's old diary. As they read it, they begin to see their mother and father in a new light.A couple of days ago I saw a blog post about short novels. I read a few comments and thought to myself, I don't think I would enjoy a short novel. No time to really get to know the characters or get involved in the plot. Well, I was wrong. I liked this short novel. It was well written, interesting and focused. As readers, we learned about a brief period in Elizabeth's life. Ms. Goudge didn't stray from her plot and the story moved along and a good pace without any dragging.This plot was right up my alley. If the main character finds an old journal or some hidden letters and must then solve some secret mystery, then that is a book for me. And that is just what happened in this book. We only went back to 1951, but the transitions between the two times were seamless. As I was reading I knew how I wanted it to end, but couldn't figure out where Ms. Goudge was going. I was pleasantly surprised by the twist at the end.Even though we were only with them for a short while, I really liked the characters. Knowing that Elizabeth ended up getting married and having two daughters allowed me to root for both of her suitors. I liked them both, and wanted them both to be happy.I am not usually a fan of romance as the main theme in a novel, but I really enjoyed this book. It was a light and easy read that had not a thing wrong with it.